VA Benefits

Step 1: Select Disability and enter percentage (%) to add. Repeat as needed.

Step 2: Select applicable options for family status

Step 3: Print Report

Step 4: Book your FREE, no-obligation VA Strategic Call with our coaches!

Veterans Disability Calculator


Enter your disabilities using the buttons below.

If your disability is on an extremity push that proper leg or arm button then push the percentage, if it is not just select the percentage.

Disabilities List (click to remove)

No Disabilities Added Yet

Answer these questions below.

How many dependent children do you have who are under the age of 18?

What is your marital status?

Does your spouse need Aid and Attendance(A/A)?

How many dependent children do you have who are between the ages of 18 and 24?

How many dependent parents do you have?

Current Disability Rating


*A bilateral factor of has been applied.

Your calculated rating is a % which the VA rounds to %

Your monthly payment amount is


Unveiling the VA Rating Puzzle

Have you ever found yourself puzzled by the seemingly complex calculation behind your VA disability rating? Wondering why 1 + 1 doesn’t always equal 2 in the world of the VA? Many veterans share the sentiment, questioning how the VA arrives at their combined disability ratings.

Understanding the VA’s Rating System

When determining service-connected compensation claims, the VA employs a unique approach. Instead of straightforward addition, they utilize percentages of percentages. Imagine the VA sees a 10% disability as being 90% healthy. Subsequently, each additional rating isn’t merely added but is applied as a percentage of the remaining ‘healthy’ portion. Let’s break it down with an example:

Veteran has two 10% disability ratings.
The first 10% is calculated as 10% of 100, resulting in 10%.
The second 10% is computed as 10% of the remaining ‘healthy’ 90%, which equals 9%.
The combined rating is then 19%, rounded to the nearest ten percent, making it 20%.

Challenges of the Combined Rating System

As a veteran approaches 100%, the combined rating system becomes increasingly challenging. Achieving a higher rating becomes harder, especially beyond 50%. For instance, a veteran with individual ratings of 50% for PTSD, 50% for Sleep Apnea, 20% for diabetes, and 20% for a back problem would have a combined rating of 80%, not the straightforward sum of 140%. In the realm of VA math, it’s different.

Impact on Compensation

The disparity in compensation becomes evident. According to the VA compensation rating table, a veteran with an 80% rating, without dependents, would receive $1,877.43 per month. In contrast, a single veteran with a 100% rating would receive $3,456.30 per month. Although the 100% rating is only 20% higher than 80%, the monetary difference is nearly 100% more each month!

Navigating the intricacies of the VA disability rating system is crucial for veterans seeking fair compensation. Our Veterans Disability Compensation Calculator helps demystify the process, providing clarity on the calculations that determine your monthly benefits.